Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tulsa, Oklahoma Carving Show, July, 2008

We received good news very early on in the show by winning the "Best Table" award. That is the trophy sitting in front of the plates. Sherrye ironed all the table coverings and carefully transported them to Tulsa so I was glad to share the prize money with her


This stylized "bucking bronco" won a blue ribbon. I carved this while sitting on the beach in Florida a couple of weeks earlier. It is carved from butternut wood

This is a lineup of the carving contest winners. L-R Rusty Johnson (1st), Me (2nd), Lynn Doughty (3rd), and Ray North (HM). We had an hour and 15 minutes to carve a cocker spaniel from a cutout blank. There were about 14 carvers that participated.


This is my second place cocker spaniel. We could only use one tool for the entire time. I am pretty sure it was my first dog carving ever.


These are the first three chip-carved plates that I have ever done. I took a class from Wayne Barton in June.

1 comment:

Katy Hill said...

2nd place... Is that a first?